They are always watching.

It’s her new backpack for school, pre-kindergarten.  She is 4 and he is 29.  Her dad knew she would proudly walk to the car if she could don that new prize possession.  He is a good dad.

How does this happen?  And, what does it have to do with sales?

A lot.

Everyone knows a few things about sales, but we all know that there are certain things that if you do them, they always end in success:

Show up.  90% of getting the deal is all about showing up.

Same with being a good dad.

Positive attitude.  You have heard the saying “attitude determines altitude.”

Same with being a good dad.

Learn and care about your prospect.  Find something in common, find a way to add value.

Same with being a good dad.

Have fun.  It’s not all about work, but work can definitely be fun.

Same with being a good dad.

Stick with it.  How many times has a prospect said they were not interested?  But, after time and checking in with the prospect something changed, and now they have a need.

Same with being a good dad.

Follow through.  I read a statistic that said 92% of salespeople don’t follow through.  The other 8% are wildly successful salespeople.

Same with being a good dad.

And so, it goes with all of us.  They are watching.  Who is watching?  Our team, our prospects, our competitors, our boss.

Same with our children.

If you work hard, they will work hard.

If you behave ethically, they will behave ethically.

If you listen and care, they will listen and care.

They are always watching.

The precious photo is of my son and his daughter.  My son learned how to be a good dad from his dad.  And he learned from his dad.  They were watching.

Photo courtesy of Christina Ropp

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s